Surfing in Thailand

This topic contains 71 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by azlan azlan 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    azlan
    azlan

SUP surfing at Khlong Dao beach, Koh Lanta Thailand on September 16, 2016.

Surfsalot
    Surfsalot

Very cool clip.  What kind of board are you on?

Here’s a shot from one of my super secret spots:

azlan
    azlan

Hey dude,

I’m riding 10′ Southpoint SUP board – Bonga Perkins series shaped by Carl Schaper. It’s a good board for small & less power wave. Nice left break you had for your super secret spot.

azlan
    azlan

Check out another SUP surfing video. Pakarang beach, Khao Lak on September 2016.

Algo Girl
    Algo Girl

Nice videos.  What software do you use to do your editing/soundtrack?

azlan
    azlan

Hye Algo Girl

I use Moonlight. Its an iphone apps. Very easy to use.

Surfsalot
    Surfsalot

Amazing session here yesterday.  It was big (double overhead) and very glassy.  I was riding my long board and catching the huge set waves.  Long ride and then closer to the beach they were barreling. I got inside one barrel and then wiped out. Came down heavily on the fin.  A few inches to one side I would have cracked my ribs for sure, but as luck would have it I didn’t land on point of the fin but rather to one side of it.  There was so much impact that the stainless steel anchor screw for the fin snapped (that has never happened to me in over 35 years of surfing).  So then I am out the back in huge sets (by myself) with no fin.

Anyway I made it back alive and am heading down right now on the run in tide for another session.

Keep going posting your videos Azlan, they look really cool.  I never have my phone with me when I go for a surf, but I will in the next few weeks try to get some new shots to post here.

Surfsalot
    Surfsalot

Hey Azlan

Good surf here last couple of days now that the storm has passed.  Was big and glassy for a few days.  Ground swell has finished now and just small waves.  Might be finished for the year.

Air Asia has some promotions flights on at the moment.  I can get a flight from Phuket via KL to Bali for just 2500THB.  I am going to go for a month.  Not taking any boards.  I am going to buy 3 new ones in Bali along with a new wetsuit and some board bags.

You should come too…

Here is a pic I found on the internet today.  Enjoy:

azlan
    azlan

Hi Surfsalot,

Good for you that there is still a wave up there. For here in Penang, it already two weeks flat with heavy rain almost everyday. Surf season end.

When is it do you plan to go to Bali? We can plan. But I can’t make it a month. I only can make it a week. Maybe we can meet at West Java after you done shopping at Bali. If you plan to go there. Otherwise we can meet at Bali.

I’ve done some review about Batu Karas wave. Looks fun just like the wave I’m looking for. Right hand break with long wall.

Surfsalot
    Surfsalot

Hey Az

Just looking at MSW.  They are predicting some 4 star ground swell to hit here about Monday next week.   No wind and should be right direction to work on the reef.

Batu Karas is a good wave.  Usually pretty small but can get epic on the right conditions.  Problem now though is that Lonely Planet listed it as the best place in Indonesia to learn to surf.   So now there are millions 🙄 of numpty backpacker kooks spoiling the line up.

I will keep you posted on Indo.  At this stage I am thinking that I probably won’t go to West Java.  Just do a board shopping trip to Bali  and maybe hang out for a month.

Stop Loss
    Stop Loss

I went to Batu Karas with my BF back in 2014.  Nice spot with good sandy beach. I can’t surf very good but rented a board and managed to catch a few waves.  Even stood up 😀

A friend of mine went there this year (because I told her it was a cool place).  Apparently it is already very crowded now.

azlan
    azlan

Hi Surfsalot,

What does star mean? I saw similar swell size with different rating. I should head up to the beach this week. Maybe there some wave here as well. Better wait & pray.

If you’re not planning to go to West Java then we can just meet at Bali. Is there any uncrowded wave in Bali? Or maybe make a trip to Lombok. Any plan just update me. Early book flight ticket will cost less.

Hi Stop Loss,

Where did you stay in Batu Karas? I made review and found out Villa Monyet look nice.

Stop Loss
    Stop Loss

We stayed in a homestay called Penginapan.  We  called it the Penguin for a laugh.  Basic rooms but very good people and only about 10 dollars a night.  If you want to surf very early morning to avoid the crowd you will need a thin wetsuit.  I didn’t have one and I was very cold on some days.

My BF is a good surfer and one of the things he did not like about Batu Karas was that it is kind of in the middle of no where and so if you want to go try out other breaks it is a lot travel.

Surfsalot
    Surfsalot

Hey Az

Very sad news.  I have decided not to go to Bali.  I am still crying in my cup of BOH tea.  Amazing deals on the tickets at the moment.  Could have flown via KL for just over 2,000 THB.

I decided not to go because I promised myself that I should not be so lazy and get some work.  If I went to Bali I would just be procrastinating more.

I am not sure how MSW calculates its star ratings.  Doesn’t matter anyway because they are never accurate here at my breaks anyway.  But from experience I know that we usually get two of three good days of ground swell in November early December when the reef works well.  But today is a flat as a tack.  Sun is finally out though.

The airport reef in Nai Yang Phuket also works well in November with offshore breeze.  That is a good SUP wave also.

Say hi to everyone down there.

azlan
    azlan

Hi Surfalots,

No problem. Maybe next time. I’m planning to go to Lombok next year. Never been there before.

I also planning for short surf trip to Samila beach, Songkhla. Usually there is no strong wind on December. So we able to have clean 1 meter wave. Because Samila really expose to strong wind during monsoon. But need to check the report first. If the condition is not good, i’m planning to go to Batu Buruk, Terengganu. Right now the break already pick up some longboard wave.

Last Sunday, there’s a wave break at our local break. Me together with Lee, we head up to the beach. Average 0.6 meter wave. But I rode 2 wave with 1 meter size & long clean wall. Then I caught 2 wave with prone paddling. I think those exercise that I practice at home works well. I can feel my arms not easily get hurt & tired now.

I think last week is the end for our surf season. The report also show flat now.

Hi Stop Loss,

Penginapan is Indo language for accommodation. We also use the same word for Malay language.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.