Surfing in Thailand

This topic contains 71 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by azlan azlan 2 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Surfsalot
    Surfsalot

Hey Az

Sorry I haven’t replied for a while.   This week the surf has been amazing.  Big clean ground swell with no wind.  I think it was coming in from the Nicobar Islands and also has held up for days because of the biggest full moon in 137 years (super moon) due on the 14th of this month (which is also the night of the loy kratong festival).

I have been surfing my brains out…  I was out at the reef yesterday in 2.5 meter glassy swells and surfed by myself for 3 or 4 hours.  Then had some lunch and surfed till after dark at the river mouth.

Just got back from another sunset session today.  It was absolute perfect glass and was barreling on the sets.  I have been testing out some new epoxy short boards on lone from a new shaper and got some really great waves.

I am tired.  I have surfed 6-7 hours straight every day for the last 4 days.  Very stoked but also very weary.  Not easy surfing all day in big swell when you get to my age.  Anyway just looked at the forecast and it looks like there might be a couple of smaller days left and the BIGGGGG FLAT….until next year.

Very very quite this year.  Tourist numbers are way down around here compared to last year.  But that is fine by me.

Maybe next season you will have a surfboard and you can fly up here and I will pick you up at the airport… 🙂

And yeah it would be great if we could arrange a trip somewhere.  I love Lombok have been there many times but not in the last decade.  I saw that MSW has a photo of the day the other day from Gili Trawangan.  There is a reef break there (it used to be a big secret prior to the internet) and I have surfed it a few times long ago when it was epic.  I was quite surprised to see it on MSW.

Say hi to the other guys for me.

Ask Lee if he voted for Donald Trump?

azlan
    azlan

Hi surfsalot,

Super moon means super flat at our local spot. Surf season officially end here. Plus we don’t get any groundswell. 😳 Is there any super swell or super surf at your spot during super moon?

Lee doing research on Koh Kradan now. He plan for it on next monsoon. But for me, I still looking for the best of Khao Lak. I will try my luck again next year.

Don’t you have any surf plan during this East monsoon?

What do you think of Epoxy board? And the shaper is he still in Khao Lak. The shaper from the competition.

Surfsalot
    Surfsalot

Hey Az

It was the big full moon last night and Loy Kratong festival.  The festival was very quiet but the moon was great.  Walked on the beach at midnight with my girl and it was like walking in the daylight.  The ocean was absolutely flat and glassy like a mirror. Not even the tiniest of waves.

MSW predicts some meter plus swell arriving again tomorrow and then hanging around for a week or so. I hope it is correct.  November swells always work well on the reef.   There is no wind at the moment so I am hoping it is going to be great.

Had an amazing couple of weeks. Got absolutely no work done…just surfing 6 or 7 hours every day.

I might still do a trip to Indo if I start to get stir crazy with no waves.  See how I go.  I am trying not to be lazy and focus on some projects….but in the end surfing will probably win over work 😉

I have been riding an epoxy short board during the last couple of weeks.  I have been practicing my cut backs and re-entries and am getting pretty good.  Still not a fan of epoxy (no soul) and although easy to paddle and very fast, they make you lazy as you lose muscle tone.  When you are my age and surf on epoxy it is very had to go back to fiberglass.

You should focus on buying a surfboard this year.  You can then just fly up here when the swell is on.   I can pick you up at the airport.

Say hi to all the guys for me.  I hope you and your families are well.

azlan
    azlan

Hi surfalot,

Last night only we have chance to enjoy the super moon. Heavy rain on Monday night. Lucky for you & your girl to enjoy the bright night at the beach. I watch one video at Hawaii they did night surfing without any lighting. Very bright.

I bet you gonna be crazy man. Me myself already start to feel it. I already have 2 fibreglass board. I bought it during my last visit to Bali on 2014. 1 shortboard & 1 fishboard. I plan to buy funboard that time but I did not found any used funboard or longboard. They only have new board which the price not in my budget.

I always figure out the way to get to Khao Lak by public transport. It will be great if you able to pick up at Phuket because there are many way & easier to reach Phuket compare to Khao Lak. If I have a budget I will go by flight. If not I will use train from Penang to Hatyai then continue with mini van to Phuket. This option is cheaper.

Surfsalot
    Surfsalot

Hey Az

Sometimes I see tickets with air asia from Phuket to Penang for under 1000Baht.  Surely a ticket at that price is cheaper than public transport??

Just had a couple of days of nice glassy ground swell again.  I surfed the reef on Tuesday by myself for about 3 hours.

Today I surfed the outside reef for about 2 hours but it was getting too small.

MSW predicts another little patch of ground swell starting next Monday and peaking on Tuesday at about 1.1 meter.  Tide is good timing with dead low at 9am.

Still some rain hanging around up here.  Just had a storm at sunset.

Say hi to the guys for me.  I hope you and your families are well.

I will try not to get too crazy.   Well at least not any more crazy than Lee…

azlan
    azlan

Hey Surfalots,

Busy week for you man. MSW reported swell at Khao Lak.

I’m half crazy now. 2 month without wave.

Yeah 1000 baht is cheaper compare to public transport. But the problem is we need to book early or wait for promotion. Now the price for next year on promo is 2000 baht. Its OK, we’ll see how next year. But the thing is I’ll get there.

Surfsalot
    Surfsalot

Hey Az

Just checked out this weeks forecast on MSW.  Looks like later this week we are getting 1.3 meter swell and offshore wind.  If they are correct the reef should be firing.  I hope it is true.  Not often you get waves here in January… and it will be my first surf for 2017 🙂

Check out how this little dude rips.  He is just 12 years old:

Wish Lee and Nik a happy new year for me.

azlan
    azlan

Hey Surfsalot

This weekend I’m head out to our local spot. Hope this swell gonna make it to Penang.

This kid remind of me if I were born in Bali.  😆

Surfsalot
    Surfsalot

Hey Az

I think he grew up on Lakey peak in Indo.

Prediction now up to 2.8M for the reef.

Short 9s period and lots of wind.

The few days after the wind finish might be interesting.

Best of luck chasing the storm down there in Penang.

If you get some sick video footage don’t forget to post it here.

azlan
    azlan

Don’t worry man. For sure I’ll get my gopro ready. 6 years I’ve been monitoring  the local swell report & this is the first time there a swell outside monsoon time.

Surfsalot
    Surfsalot

Yep.  It is the first time I have seen a prediction of more than 1m in January.

I went down to look at it this afternoon.  Beautiful and glassy with light offshore breeze.  Still pretty flat, but some bigger sets are starting to arrive.

I am excited.

If we get 2 meter swell with offshore wind the reef will be cranking.  And if it really is over 2 meters it will break right out on the outside bank and then run in along the side of the reef.  2 or 3 minute ride at least.  Only ever had it like that once before.  But it wasn’t in January.

If you look up to the right of your computer screen, you will see that this website has a Links button in the menu.  If you click on that, and then scroll in the drop down onto weather, and then click on Live Data, you will be taken to the cool Windytv website.  You can select live wave forecasts as one of the viewing options.

You can see the storm building up in real time.

azlan
    azlan

Hey Surfsalot

Thanks for sharing. This windytv web really cool. Full screen & colorful.

Hope we can get a good wave this week.

Surfsalot
    Surfsalot

Hey Az

I got some small glassy stuff yesterday just on sunset.

But today it is flat again..???   😯

azlan
    azlan

Hi Surfsalot

Lee just update me this afternoon at our spot there a strong NE wind & no swell.

we’ll see how for tomorrow. Hope something miracle happen.

Surfsalot
    Surfsalot

Hey Az

I just got back from the reef.  No wind, glassy  conditions, but no swell.

I think the predictions may be wrong, or as is often the case here they get the timing wrong.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.