Surfing in Thailand

This topic contains 71 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by azlan azlan 2 years ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Surfsalot
    Surfsalot

Big glassy waves here over the last few days.  Swell is just dropping off now.  Heavy rain has arrived also.

Did you guys get any waves down there??

azlan
    azlan

Nope. Only heavy rain & storm.  😳

Surfsalot
    Surfsalot

Big storm scheduled to  hit here on Wednesday.  2 m waves.  Hopefully I get get a spot out of the wind.

Just finished reading another thread about the PI.  Guy said he had 2.5 to 3 meter waves over Christmas at La Union and Baler. Then southern swell starts in april in Zambales.  There is also Siargao and Cloud 9.

Surfsalot
    Surfsalot

Hey Az and Lee

There has been some perfect ground-swell waves here over Songkran.

About 1 meter plus on the sets and light offshore breeze.

The location of the river mouth at Apsara has changed position a lot (Moved to the North) and so at the moment there is a well shaped sand bar there.  I hope the bar remains when the bigger swell arrives.  It will pump.

Yesterday there was a nice clean barrel peeling off to the right.

The reef has also been working and with a smaller wave just right for you SUP kooks.

I hope you and your families are well.

Any swell yet in Penang?

azlan
    azlan

Yesterday, Lee went to check the condition. Only small unrideable ripple. Maybe this week.

You should share some pictures. I miss Khao Lak very much now. Is there any surfer share the barrel with you?

Have fun.

Surfsalot
    Surfsalot

Hey Az and Lee

There has been an epic ground swell here over the last three days.  Backside of the reef had unlimited waves.  And the day before yesterday at Taxis I had some of the best waves since I have lived in Thailand.  Big and glassy with long workable face.  Surfed all day for three days straight…not easy after so long without waves.

Any waves down there?

azlan
    azlan

Hey Surfsalot

Congrats for the best wave & lucky that you’re there to rode it. Lee reported there is a rideable wave last week but we have no time. Been busy this month.

Lee
    Lee

Hi,

Surfsalot, you deserved such a ball of a time you’ve had for all these days..!

To hear that there were unlimited waves at the back of the reef really took my head off as that’s my favourite spot in the vicinity..

I have yet to taste a single dose of a decent surf over here this season..?..

Still crossing my finger from one day to another.

Salute you guru..

Shaka,

Lee Razak

azlan
    azlan

Hi Surfsalot,

Some ripple for us here last week. Yesterday the swell grew bigger to 0.5m but the direction is West. Normally 0.5m suppose to came from WNW. With this W direction our local break didn’t work.  😥

How the surf in Khao Lak? Any barrel. Does it get crowded with people in the water this year. Any comp or surf event?

Have fun & get stoked.

Surfsalot
    Surfsalot

Hey Az

This last week the wind has been coming from the south and very short period on the swell.  Sub 6 seconds.  Yesterday a break in the weather and the period opened up to around 9 seconds.  I surfed the backside of the reef (by myself) and got some great waves.  This morning I awoke to heavy rain so I have not checked the surf out yet.

The wet season has definitely arrived.  When are you guys coming up on a road trip?

There are a lot more SUPs in the water here this year because of the new factory that has opened up.  And most of them can’t ride and so they are a danger to themselves and everyone else.  However, because the mouth of the river has changed I have been surfing mostly over in front of the resort away from the kooks.

I hope you and your families are well and I hope you and Lee get a good session in soon.

Lee
    Lee

G’day,

Surfsalot, yesterday session should’ve been our last before we hang up dry our boards for a month. Ramadhan or fasting month is on this coming Sunday so we would just bite the bullet and focusing on fasting and praying by then until end of June.

Speaking of a new board factory, is it the one which used to be the abandoned warehouse along the way to the surf spot? Are they selling reasonable price boards out of the factory?

Out of our 3 trips we’ve made to Khaolak, the best ever was the first one which was end of August 2014. We have May and September for comparison. The conclusion is we should be there in early or mid August this year. What do you think?

Shaka,

Lee Razak

azlan
    azlan

Hey Surfsalot

Any good surf over there? I’m still waiting swell direction to switch to WNW. With W direction the break didn’t generate my favourite long wall. Does this affect Khao Lak break?

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.